Thursday, July 8, 2010

Red gold, no diet tonight and a love song

- Walking through the printing plant early yesterday morning, friend and co-worker Bobby says, "Get some tomatoes." Ah - home grown tomatoes. He brought in a bucket full of them to share. I asked if his vines were overflowing and he nodded, he and his family are almost tired of them already. But they are like red gold to those of us with no vines of our own.

- My dinner last night - sandwiches with home grown tomatoes. Fresh bread, Duke's mayonnaise and sliced tomatoes with salt and pepper. Yum.

- There is a funny novelty song I remember from several years ago, "Home Grown Tomatoes - a tender ballad." My favorite line:
There's only two things that money can't buy
That's true love and home grown tomatoes.
:)

I linked a YouTube video and here are the lyrics:

ARTIST: Guy Clark
TITLE: Homegrown Tomatoes
Lyrics and Chords

There's nothin' in the world that I like better than
Bacon, lettuce and home grown tomatoes
Up in the morning and out in the garden
Pick you a ripe one, don't get a hard 'un
Plant 'em in the springtime eat 'em in the summer
All winter without 'em's a culinary bummer
I forget all about the sweatin' and the diggin'
Every time I go out and pick me a big'un

/ C - / F - / G7 - / C - / :

{Refrain}
Home grown tomatoes, home grown tomatoes
What'd life be without home grown tomatoes
There's only two things that money can't buy
That's true love and home grown tomatoes

You can go out and eat 'em, that's for sure
But there's nothin' a home grown tomato won't cure
You can put 'em in a salad, put 'em in a stew
You can make your own, very own tomato juice
You can eat 'em with eggs, you can eat 'em with gravy
You can eat 'em with beans, pinto or navy
Put em on the side, put em on the middle
Home grown tomatoes on a hot cake griddle

{Refrain}

If I could change this life I lead
You could call me Johnny Tomato Seed
I know what this country needs
It's home grown tomatoes in every yard you see
When I die don't bury me
In a box in a cold dark cemetery
Out in the garden would be much better
Where I could be pushin' up home grown tomatoes

{Refrain twice}

16 comments:

TALON said...

I'm with Johnny Tomato seed - we do need home grown tomatoes in every yard - or something home grown if you're not partial to tomatoes.

I can't wait for ours to be ready for slicing and dicing!

Your sandwiches sounded scrumptious, Lynn!

Anonymous said...

I've often toyed with the idea of growing our own tomatoes. That and spinach. I wonder how hard it is to cultivate these things? Maybe I'll just sit and wonder about it a bit more... ;)

Love me a good tomato, and I love me a bolognese that's super tomatoey in flavour! Red gold indeed! Mmmm!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Maude Lynn said...

There is nothing like a tomato that actually tastes like one!

Meredith said...

The first taste of true summer tomato is one of the culinary joys of the year. I'm so glad you were given some, Lynn. They look just perfect! :)

(And I also choose Duke's mayonnaise, when possible. Great minds think alike?)

Lance said...

Mmmm....fresh, home grown tomatoes!! I love 'em!! We have some growing right now...and afraid they'll probably get ripe while we're on vacation.

And now you have me thinking fresh salsa!!!

desk49 said...

You picked out some nice ones
All red as can be
If that's all you're eating
Your diets home free
The song I did not sing
But I did hum along
I don't think any head bangers
Will play you that song

Riot Kitty said...

Yum yum! Cross your fingers - mine just started sprouting actual fruit yesterday.

Lynn said...

Talon -

Wouldn't that be great? It would have to be in a pot at my place though.

And they were scrumptious!

Tony -

I don't think growing tomatoes is difficult - spinach I don't know about. I buy the too expensive kind of spinach that is pre-washed, but it is so worth it not to deal with all that grit.

I love a bolognese sauce, too. Yum yum yum!

Mama Zen -

I won't buy those grocery store kind unless they are of the roma or grape variety.

Meredith -

Great minds, indeed! I love Duke's - so savory.

Lance -

I wish I could come up and pick them for you. :) Yes - salsa sounds so good.

Ellis -

lol! I'm pretty sure no head bangers would be interested in that song either.

Riot Kitty -

I think you are home free with tomatoes on the way!

LL Cool Joe said...

Those tomatoes do look good. I wish I could get my kids to eat more of them. Rich in iron and far better than chocolate!

Ileana said...

Fun song! You make me crave fried green tomatoes for some reason. I want to eat mine with eggs! :)

Have a great weekend, Chica!!

Lynn said...

Joe -

I agree - far better than chocolate (maybe I'll have to think about that more.) :)

Ily -

I like fried green tomatoes with goat cheese crumbled on top. Yum.

You have a great weekend, too, my friend.

Jannie Funster said...

I know tha tsong -- in fact as soon as you wrote those words in this post -- home grown tomatoes, my mind had t g through the whle melody until I could continue reading.

We had some homegrown cherry tomatoes the other day, from a friend too. A bit small to slice for a yummy sandwich, but very very tasty!

Lynn said...

Blue Bunny -

You definitely need to wear that hat to the convention. :)

ox

Jannie -

I went through those tomatoes like lightning - hoping for more. I love the cherry or grape tomatoes, too.

xo

Snaggle Tooth said...

I used to always grow tomaotoes when the girls lived here, cause they liked them. I eat all my tomatoes cooked- I always stewed n canned what I couldn't use up, n always made sauce, sometimes ketchup.
cool song! Thanks

Lynn said...

Snaggle -

I had a discussion with two of the guys in the printing plant, they like tomatoes in salsa, or cooked, but not on a sandwich.