Friday, November 9, 2012

Bluejacket, blowing in the wind and returning

- This is a page from The Bluejacket's Manual issued by the US Navy in 1944 to my dad, who was newly off to war.  When we were going through his things, we found the manual and I brought it home.  The page above is for instructions in marching, which I guess he learned in boot camp.  I noticed a couple of pieces of paper stuck in it.  One is some sort of ticket and the other is a pass to a cafe and restaurant at 377 Si-Tzang Road, in Taiwan (formerly known as Formosa.)  A little end of the war fun, looks like, with "genuine drinks, excellent foods, good music and lovely hostesses."

- My older sister wondered out loud once where we got our curly hair from (dad had close cropped hair when we were kids and then he lost it.)  I think we can see that wave in the photo above.  Dad said the photographer taped the collar of his midi top to the back of his cap, so it would look as if it was blowing in the ocean wind.  I have that top and his cap in my cedar chest.

- One of two ships (minesweepers) he was on board during World War II.  I have a project that I'm working on with Mina's father (who works in diplomatic relations in Washington, DC) to return a Japanese soldier's photo album that Dad brought home from the war.  Something he found, he said - the details of that are sketchy.  But we want the soldier's family to have it, if they can be found.  There is a name and address inside.  Dad wanted that, too, so I vow to fulfill that wish.

Happy weekend, y'all!

19 comments:

Riot Kitty said...

What a neat find!

happygirl said...

God bless the service your father gave to this nation. And God bless your memories of him. Have a great weekend. :)

Ileana said...

This post gave me goosebumps.

Great photo of your dad and I love the photographer's idea...it does look like the wind is blowing, if you don't look at his perfect hair. :)

Hope you can find that soldier's family. They'd be thrilled to have those photos!

Fireblossom said...

That's clever, how he made it look like there was wind!

Leonora said...

I love these keepsakes from your dad. It's a noble mission you are on, to return the photo album. I wish you all the best in your search.I saw a similar story on History Detectives once- with a happy ending!
I am the keeper of my dad's war time memorabilia. The war made a huge impact on his life, I feel committed to preserving it out of respect for him and in his memory.

Chatty Crone said...

Very interesting - your dad was a handsome man. I love the way they pinned his collar up like that. His hair might have been curly. So you have never posted a picture of yourself on her. sandie

Elephant's Child said...

Returning the photo album to the family of the Japanese soldier has made me a bit misty. What a lovely thing to do - have a great weekend.

Snaggle Tooth said...

What great old stuff of your Dads!
Your mission almost sounds like Mission Impossible- Well at least you have a location. Then you would need a relative of the album who knew his grandparents well enough to recall folks in the pics. Good thing this will be easier in the internet age!
Best of luck-
Have an interesting week-end there!

Betty Manousos said...

very interesting, lynn,

what a neat find!! that is a great photo of your father. he was such a handsome man!


have a blessed weekend!

big hugs~

Joanne said...

I love finding old relics like this...they make you feel a bit closer to your dad in a way I'm sure.

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Lynn what a fabulous story about your Dad - he sure had thick hair and yes .. I can see the wave there.

I do hope you find the soldier's family .. what a fun project ..

Love this post - cheers Hilary

Sparkling Red said...

It never ceases to amaze me how quickly time passes from one generation to the next. One day he's a handsome young boy in uniform, the next he's your dad. Time does fly.

Granny Annie said...

I loved this post and thought I was your first commenter. Just goes to show my mental acumen ain't what it used to be. Of course I love your sailor dad. It's the Navy for me for sure! And you must keep us posted on the return of the photo album.

Louvregirl said...

Thank you for sharing these old photos, Lynn. Your Father looks like such a nice person. Love (love) old photos and I save them also!!!!!
lg! Now I will go back and look again. :-)

Lynn said...

Riot Kitty -

I might post some of the pics from the album tomorrow. Not sure though.

happygirl -

Thank you. He was my favorite veteran.

Scarlet -

I was thinking that my dad could have been located fairly easily if the tale was flipped, so I hope someone can find them.

FB -

I know - love that. :)

Leonora -

I have a number of things I'm keeping in a trunk. You told me about the History Detectives before - I might keep that in mind in case this route doesn't pan out.

Lynn said...

Sandie -

He was very handsome - always was, even as an elderly gentleman. No - I don't tend to post about me, except indirectly. I like to post about things that affect me or seen through my eyes.

The Elephant's Child -

Thank you - I hope it works out.

Snaggle -

I would like to think there are relatives still. I love the pictures of his mom and dad.

Betty -

Thank you - I think so, too. Big hugs to you!

Lynn said...

Joanne -

I do - I miss him so much.

Hilary -

Thank you and cheers!

Sparkling Red -

He shared so many memories of the war through the years - I wish I had asked him even more.

Granny Annie -

I wondered where everyone was - glad you made it back. :) And hope you are feeling good today.

lg -

So nice - beloved by all.

G. B. Miller said...

Kudos to you for making a genuine attempt at returning an old photo album. Here's to a successful conclusion.

Lynn said...

Thanks G -