Monday, December 30, 2013

Wonderful surprise, in common and reflection

- It was so exciting to open my mailbox when I returned home on Saturday to find this package, all the way from Singapore!  Our lovely Betty from the So Shiok! blog (which seems to be down at the moment) sent me this as a Christmas surprise.  She had blogged about Cadbury's TimeOut bars and I said I didn't think we have those here.  I had completely forgotten about that - so what a nice surprise.  Plus there were some chopsticks!  As you can see - I had one of those bars and it was just as good as she said.

- So wonderful that multiple bloggers have the same taste in reading that I do.  Both Elephant's Child and Lee love Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings, too, and both commented on my Wacissa River post from Friday about the book (and film) Cross Creek and her novel The Yearling.  Rawlings lived in nearby Alachua County, Florida.  When I worked at the county library in Milledgeville, Georgia during my high school years, the librarian, Mrs. Smith used to recommend The Yearling to anyone who was looking for something good to read.  It was her favorite book + she had a correspondence relationship with Ms. Rawlings.  Remarkable really.  I love both books and when I weeded out paperbacks when I got the new bookcase (preferring to just put mostly hardbacks on the shelves), I kept these four old, treasured books.

- I love the sparkle of the Christmas lights reflected in the print in the living room.  I'm sad to see the decorations come down, but come down, they must.  That print was given to me by my grandfather when I was a teenager.  He knew I loved artwork - not sure where it came from, but it is of (of all things) Washington's Second Inauguration.  I kept it in a trunk and finally had it framed about 25 years after he gave it to me.

No year end post for me this year - I actually just realized this is my last post for 2013!  :)  I wish you all a Happy New Year!

16 comments:

Louvregirl said...

Hey Lynn! So sweet to get sweet treats from Singapore! I am not taking my decorations down yet! My tree stay up until sometime into the New Year :-0

Louvregirl said...

(A side note:) Lynn, Can you revert me back my original blog on Blogspot in your blog list? Thanks. On Wordpress you can't list other blogs you follow like yours! Thanks. I'm resurrecting the old one.
lg :-)

OldLady Of The Hills said...

That wonderful thoughtful loving Betty! How dear of her...!
Are you taking down the tree before New Years??
Wishing you a Very Very Happy New Year, my dear!

Melissa Ann Goodwin said...

What a lovely gift. And The Yearling - boy that brings back memories! Happy New Year.

TALON said...

All beautiful and good things. I'm wishing you a beautiful and full-to-the-brim-good things 2014, Lynn!

Elephant's Child said...

Time Outs are good. Very good.
And how lovely to hear that you know and love Cross Creek as well. The love of reading is such a link isn't it?

Lynn said...

lg -

I'm considering doing just that - leaving the tree up until the epiphany (January 5.)

The reverting is done!

Naomi -

Wasn't that nice? I always heard it was bad luck to leave it up after the new year, but it has only been up for two weeks. I am thinking I'll leave it up until Sunday.

Melissa Ann -

Isn't The Yearling a wonderful book? I'm thinking of rereading it.

Talon -

Thank you and I wish full-to-the-brim good things for you, too, my friend.

Elephant's Child -

I'll say! And Cross Creek - I so identified with her. I would have loved to talk to her.

Riot Kitty said...

Happy New Year! That is a sweet surprise. I got a surprise package in the mail from Claire from England!

Lee said...

Isn't it wonderful that we love the same books...stories...I find this very warming, if you know what I mean. :)

I'm going to have to read "Cross Creek" again, now, too. It's beside my bed and has been there for months.

And I howl every time I watch "The Yearling"...and how I love Gregory Peck. He was special!

Lynn...I wish you a very Happy New Year and I hope 2014 fulfills your every wish and dream. Take care. :)

Louvregirl said...

Happy New Year, Lynn! Hugs to you (and M-A-N-Y blessings to you all around! :-))
lg!

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Lynn .. Happy New Year .. and how lovely to receive the gift from Betty in Singapore .. I love the overseas treats I get on occasions .. so generous ... lucky you ..

Cheers for 2014 - Hilary

Granny Annie said...

What a sweet surprise from Betty. Also you gave yourself a sweet surprise by finding the print from your grandfather. I love discovering things I have forgotten,

Granny Annie said...

What a sweet surprise from Betty. Also you gave yourself a sweet surprise by finding the print from your grandfather. I love discovering things I have forgotten,

Betty Manousos said...

happy new year, lynn!

loads and loads of the warmest hugs!

xoxo

Lynn said...

Riot Kitty -

That's so neat. Happy New Year, RK!

Lee -

I find it very warming, too. Yes - those books are treasures.

Hilary -

I know - I see those wonderful baskets you get from your young blogger friend.

Cheers to you!

Granny Annie -

My parents were mystified about that print and had so many questions. I had that one and another he gave me framed and they are hanging in different parts of the room.

Betty -

Many hugs to you, too - happy New Year!

Unknown said...

I hope 2014 proves to be a good year for you and yours.