Friday, October 10, 2014

Reflections, good night moon! and all is calm

- Leaving my volunteer work on the evening of Tuesday, September 30.  It was a cloudy night with a little drizzle as I headed up 14th Street in Atlanta.  I was a little later than usual leaving, having paused in the volunteer work to wish my sister a happy birthday via cellphone.  So it was neat to see the reflection of one building on another (there in the center), and I snapped this "through the windshield" photo.

- This past Tuesday evening, October 7, I left volunteer work just before sunset and was in the same spot, when I spotted the vapory looking moon, hanging huge and white in the sky, framed between those buildings.  This turned comical, because I wanted to snap a photo of it with my phone when I stopped at the next light.  But it was not to be:  this NEVER happens - I got green light, another green light, and I kept going, missing my turn, determined to snap that photo.  And I got green lights all the way to Peachtree Street, where I was forced to turn left and lost the view.  So I gave up and had a head shaking laugh at hitting all the green lights.  That has never once happened before now, and then the sun was setting, so missed snapping that photo, and imagined the green lights laughing back at me.  :)

- So I asked Siri, "is there a super moon tonight?" and got a response that there was a "Blood Moon" on the morning of October 8 that would be best viewed in the 6:30am hour.  Hey - I'm up then, so I got my shower early, made coffee and took it and a bowl of cereal to the parking lot of the condos and watched the lunar eclipse before heading to work, with only one curious look from a neighbor driving past me leaving the complex.  It was a peaceful 25 minutes - watching the eclipse, listening to early morning sounds and watching the lights come on slowly around in the buildings.  One neighbor in the next building to the left curiously has Christmas lights in a bush beside his front door.  I've never noticed that before.  I just don't look that way when I'm leaving for work.  On this day, the moon didn't really glow blood red for me, but disappeared.  I got in my car and got on with the day.

Did someone mention coffee?  Time to go make some.  I hope you are well and happy this morning.  Have a lovely weekend!

14 comments:

Leonora said...

I am kicking myself for missing the eclipse and Blood Moon. I was up! And I never looked outside.
Have a great weekend!

Ileana said...

Here's to blue skies and green lights! I can't believe you got all those go go go lights. That's usually what we want but when we need to get that perfect pic... I feel your pain, my friend. :)

Sounds like you had a peaceful morning. I love my morning cup, checking FB or reading/drawing while it's still dark outside. It's a nice kind of quiet time.

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Lynn - the Blood Moon was special this week .. I think we get to see one in about 50 weeks!! It was cloudy anyway here ..

Lovely photo and what a pity about the next one ... still the green lights were good and made for a good story ..

Cheers Hilary

OldLady Of The Hills said...

I didn't get to see the Blood Moon, either....from the pictures I've seen, it was really Beautiful!
LOVE the picture of the buildings...It's been about 40 years since I was in Atlanta---it is really a BIG City now....!

Sparkling Red said...

Isn't it often the case that photos are difficult to capture? I find that with animals. A cat, or a squirrel, will sit perfectly still in an adorable pose until I finally have my camera out with my finger on the button, and then just as I'm about to click the shutter they scamper away.

Lee said...

The moon was pretty red down this way so I read. I didn't get to see it...but I will try to do so next April when another is due. :)

Granny Annie said...

I have so had moments of hoping for a red light to snap certain pictures, only to get the green we usually are wishing for. LOL

I was with you looking at the Blood Moon. I sat on my front porch in the early morning darkness and loved seeing it going from a almost sun-like eclipse beginning to a huge blood moon. Impossible to photograph however.

sage said...

I watched that moon rise over the marsh and saw a bit of the eclipse from the bedroom doors...

Joanne said...

The moon can be so beautiful! I'm glad you got to catch that blood moon!

Chatty Crone said...

Wish I had gotten up to see it myself.

TALON said...

Isn't that always the way? Of course, it's not often we actually want to have red lights. :)

I couldn't see the eclipse here...just too darned cloudy. It would have meant getting up super early, but was not to be. I did, however, get to sleep in. :)

Riot Kitty said...

What an awesome shot!

Snaggle Tooth said...

Cool pic of reflections. Funny green Light story! Good Eclipse story too.

LL Cool Joe said...

That Siri creeps me out. :D I love that first photo. I hope you had a good weekend too. I'm sorry I've not been on your blog for a bit, but real life has been getting in the way.