Friday, November 7, 2014

Marie sans sa tête, alternate celebration and the Beaver Moon

- I titled this photo, "Marie without her head" - spotted at a quirky antiques / event place in Atlanta called Paris on Ponce.  Her skirt is made of brown paper.  A truly startling sight that is considered an art installation and not even in honor of Halloween.

- There were only two Trick-or-Treaters last Friday at my house - smiling teenage girls who came just as I was getting home at 6:30pm.  And that was it!  I'll take the rest of the candy to my volunteer organization's candy basket.  Niece Carla, who lives in Turkey with her husband and daughter, great-niece Mina, came up with a fun Halloween celebration for her almost five-year-old, since there is no Halloween in Turkey.  They had a Halloween sleepover with two of Mina's young friends and had a Halloween candy hunt - just like an Easter egg hunt.  A unique and fun way to get candy without Trick-or-Treating.

- Driving home last night from a meeting by the light of the Beaver Moon.  Friend Janice said that is what the November 6 full moon is referred to, but she didn't know why.  The Farmers' Almanac online tells me that the early Native Americans named it the Beaver Moon because "For both the colonists and the Algonquin tribes, this was the time to set beaver traps before the swamps froze, to ensure a supply of warm winter furs. This full Moon was also called the Frost Moon."  It sure lit the sky up last night.  So beautiful.

Here's what lights up my world today - it's the weekend!  Yay!  I hope your weekend is full of unexpected delight.

15 comments:

OldLady Of The Hills said...

That top picture is fascinating! Amazing how that was done.
No Halloweeners here, at all---not for years and years----Being up in the Hills is not a great place to go door to door.....Everyone goes down to the neighborhood flats where there are lots and lots of houses and lots and lots of candy, too!
Have a GOOD weekend!

sage said...

Frost, what is that? The moon was pretty last night, I love watching it rise over the marsh

Lynn said...

Naomi -

I know! I was there for a party and hugging the host while looking at that over his shoulder. :)

I can imagine that life is different there for little ones and that the flats might have easier streets for roaming house to house.

Hope your weekend is good, too!

Sage -

Oh fine - just rub it in! :) I'm happy for you that you landed in such a warm and marshy place, my friend.

TALON said...

That is an amazing installation. Very cool. And we couldn't see the full moon here - rainy and overcast which seems to be the case almost every full moon. Glad you got to enjoy the frosted light, Lynn! Have a lovely weekend!

Elephant's Child said...

LOVE that installation. Fascinating.
And the moon (whatever its name).
Have a great weekend.

Elephant's Child said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Chatty Crone said...

That photo was just amazing!

Sparkling Red said...

Marie 's giant hair got an LOL out of me. That's quite an image!

I always feel a little sad when I hear that Trick-or-treating is disappearing in this or that neighbourhood. It's such a fun tradition, and a way to meet one's neighbours. I'm lucky - I had over 100 kids this year.

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Lynn - love the Marie Antoinette mannequin - wonderful to see: and quite daunting too ..

Lucky volunteer organisation - extra candies ... Great idea for Mina too ..

Beaver Moon - interesting to read this - they'd need those extra pelts to keep warm and dry ..

Cheers Hilary

LL Cool Joe said...

I hope you are having a great weekend Lynn. And thank you for the information about the spray from Walmarts, I will definitely get some next time I'm in the States because my partner was bitten really badly too, also I seem to have a violent reaction to them. The bites, not my partner. :D I did go to Walmarts but didn't see anything, but I'll ask next time.

Great image btw!

Lee said...

My! That certainly is quirky!

Jannie Funster said...

Must be the Canadian Moon, the Beaver one. :)

That art installation is crazy-good! Art never ceases to amazes me, what people can dream up and execute.

Love you!
xooxoxoxoxo

Ileana said...

The first pic makes me want to watch A Marie Antoinette movie or read her biography. I had two groups of kids knock on my door on Halloween this year and that was it, and we have have so much candy, I need to give it away.

Hope your weekend was peaceful and relaxing. Wishing you a happy week!

Joanne said...

That antique is quite odd...and disconcerting. We got NO trick or treaters so at least you beat us!

Riot Kitty said...

That is more than a little creepy!