Tuesday, May 10, 2016

New life, morning light and if you can't beat 'em...

- The weekend weather in Atlanta was as lovely as predicted.  Sister, niece and I met cousins for lunch at Mary Mac's Tearoom for some southern food and then moved on to Ponce City Market for a look-around.  The large brick building there housed the Sears Roebuck & Company from 1926 until 1979 (retail store, warehouse and regional offices.)  My grandfather used to go there and pick up items for the family in the 1930s and '40s when he had business in Atlanta.  I like to think of that.  The city of Atlanta bought the building around 1980 and used it for police and fire department headquarters for about 20 years - it was called City Hall East.  It's so nice to see it reinvigorated as a mixed used development now - apartments, offices, shops, restaurants and a food hall.  I had not been there since its official opening last year, so it was fun to act like a tourist for a few hours.  And I can go there anytime!

- An unedited photo that I snapped last week at one of those pop up antique markets near my office.  I thought the coat rack might work in a coworker's new home.  I just love this photo for its lovely morning light.

- And I posted about this building near my office last February.  It has been plagued by graffiti art.  My post in February showed a lone painter painting over the graffiti with white paint.  Of course, the graffiti artists came back and covered the end next to the street with graffiti again.  So I love this window company for their "if you can't beat 'em, join 'em" attitude - they have hired mural artists to paint it.  Click to enlarge.  It's a train!  Can't wait to see what they have planned for the other wall.  :)

Favorite moment of the weekend.  My sister and I were standing in my parking lot, when the sprinkler came on.  A delighted robin hopped in and out of the water - reveling in the water drops.  My sister said, "I need to get a picture of that!"  But by the time she got it positioned, the bird had tired of the activity and flew away.  My sister is a kindred spirit, I think.

12 comments:

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Lynn - lovely you could meet with family and remember old times and see the renewed building - that robin in the water sprinkler sounds wonderful ... clever about the graffiti - makes sense and I'm sure will be great to see .. cheers Hilary

Elephant's Child said...

Those precious photo ops escape too many of us.
Love that you had such a wonderful weekend - and yay for the train mural.

Debra She Who Seeks said...

That robin just didn't want its privacy invaded by some photographic voyeur who'd post its intimate bathing photo on the internet!

Fireblossom said...

That must have been Rockin' Robin!

Kay G. said...

I am not a fan of graffiti. There is a man "Banksey" who is very popular in England. He is called an artist, but I don't think he is!

Granny Annie said...

At first I thought you wrote "Ponca City Market" and Ponca City is not far from me at all. I had a moment to think "Oh my if Lynn is in Oklahoma I can go see her!!" Then I read Ponce City Market. Boo Hoo!!

Louvregirl said...

Like the idea of the train painted on the vacant building. That coat rack would be nice as a gift Lynn! ;-)

Louvregirl said...

Lynn, we did our school shopping for clothes (each year) at a huge Sears warehouse here in Milwaukee too.

Snaggle Tooth said...

You're so up on architecture in your zone-
Love the antique shop pic- Artsy!
Cool that the mural is there now!

Crafty Green Poet said...

I like the mural painted over the graffiti, there are a few murals like that here, and they often work really well at keeping the graffiti artists away.

I love the little robin, how sweet!

Sparkling Red said...

I love robins. They sing so happily. They also appear to be less fearful of people than other birds. I am often permitted to stand at a respectful distance and watch a robin doing its thing, for as long as I want to, which is a nice treat compared to other, more high-strung birds, who fly off and then I feel guilty for disturbing them.

LL Cool Joe said...

I'm convinced I left a comment here before as I know I read this post!

I wonder if the graffiti artists will still paint over the murals!

Like Spark I love Robins too. They seem quite brave as they hop from place to place and are not afraid to settle quite close to you.