Friday, December 30, 2016

Last Saturday, the night before and no resolve

Last Saturday afternoon at my sister and brother-in-law's home in Jefferson County, Florida (the very northern part in the "panhandle.")  My sister was occupied with Christmas errands when I arrived, so I sat on the front steps and just listened to the quiet.  The loveliest thing - camellias bloom in December and these were in their full glory.

I don't see Moby all that often, but thankfully, he likes me.  He is a good, fierce guard dog, when needed.  He wandered around the house and his tail started wagging when he heard my voice.  His birthday is Christmas Day, so I brought him a special treat for his birthday, as well as Christmas.  That's kitty Pete in the driveway - just going over to inspect my car.

My sister calls these "Auxiliary Stockings" - the knitted ones hanging on the mantel are too fragile for all the heavier things we like to put in them.  I had fun labeling them and even more fun putting things in them.  I had a lovely time with my family and it was fun seeing the excitement of the little ones that Christmas had come.

Thinking of my blog friends on the drive home, I pulled over to take a photo of the cotton, all wrapped up in big bales.  The white spots you see on the side of the road, are pieces of cotton that drifted away - you see a lot of that in southern Georgia.  The bales will be picked up at some point and will end up in our clothing and other linens.  

And speaking of blog friends, Grannie Annie turned this photo that I posted in November into a "digital painting" - posted on facebook.  I was delighted to see it and I love it.  Thanks for doing that, Annie!  (Posted here with permission.)

Happy New Year, my friends (a little early.)  I'll be around at your blogs the next couple of days.  I hope you have a lovely weekend.  Any resolutions?  None for me.  I'll end with my three favorite resolution quotes: 

- I do think New Year's resolutions can't technically be expected to begin on New Year's Day, don't you? Since, because it's an extension of New Year's Eve, smokers are already on a smoking roll and cannot be expected to stop abruptly on the stroke of midnight with so much nicotine in the system. Also dieting on New Year's Day isn't a good idea as you can't eat rationally but really need to be free to consume whatever is necessary, moment by moment, in order to ease your hangover. I think it would be much more sensible if resolutions began generally on January the second. ~Helen Fielding, Bridget Jones's Diary

- Good resolutions are simply checks that men draw on a bank where they have no account. ~Oscar Wilde

- Drop the last year into the silent limbo of the past. Let it go, for it was imperfect, and thank God that it can go. ~Brooks Atkinson

14 comments:

Elephant's Child said...

That quiet interlude waiting for your sister sounds like the perfect start to a wonderful Christmas.
Happy New Year. And no resolutions here. I fail often enough already without adding to the list.

LL Cool Joe said...

I'm glad you had a wonderful Christmas and I love the painting Grannie Annie created for you too. Happy new year Lynn.

Adam said...

My old dog was born in July around 3-9. We weren't quite sure what day

Louvregirl said...

Apply the 80-20 rule when looking back....it wasn't all good, and it wasn't all bad, either.

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Lynn - sounds like you had a blissful time - and arriving and having that quiet time with Pete and Moby ... happy memories ... and here's to 2017 - Happy New Year ... cheers Hilary

Granny Annie said...

Thanks for posting my digital painting and thanks for always posting such great photographs. You always have an eye for "good things" and I look forward to more in 2017. Happy New Year Lynn:-)

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

And we wish you all the best and good things always in the coming New Year, Lynn.
We also thank you for your comments and visits to our blog this year and loom forward to seeing us all in blog land in 2017

Debra She Who Seeks said...

"Auxiliary stockings," LOL! Have a happy new year!

Betty Manousos said...

sounds like you had a wonderful time, lynn.
happy new year! wish you all the best in 2017.

big hugs!

Louvregirl said...

Happy New Year Lynn!!!!!! (((((Blessings in 2017))))) to you.

lg

(I miss Talon (Kim); wonder how she is doing? I e-mail her back and forth about tennis each year...though; so I should hear...)

Kudos Miss Lynn! ;-)

Snaggle Tooth said...

Love Annie's artwork too!!!

Lee said...

I've lost a few days, I think. I probably melted away in the heat we've been experiencing. Just as well I live alone because if anyone else was here they would've mopped up the puddle on the floor...only to discover it was me!! Fortunately, my two furry rascals aren't good housekeepers!

Moby has a lovely, gentle face...enough to fool those who need fooling! :)

Lady Fi said...

Looks like a lovely way to spend Christmas.

Jannie Funster said...

Ummm, camelias!! Love that pic. I can feel the warmth in it too.

I haven't done New Year's Resolutions in quite a few years. To me, it's always a new year, new day and new moment in the heart. :)

I do kinda at this moment wish though, that I had resolved to sell this house and move into a much smaller one and with the proceeds I'd hire a private chef for my 3 meals a day. My lunch order today, as I told my sister earlier would be... squash soup, small green salad, filet mignon with potatoes / asparagus / carrots (all done up French cuisine style,) chocolate mousse and a cheese tray.

oxooxoxoxoxo